Date:	Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:34:08 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Tao Ma <tm@....ma>
Cc:	Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add inline data support in ext4

On 2011-09-27, at 1:11 AM, Tao Ma wrote:
> Hi Ted, Andreas and the list,
> 	As you may already know, we are beginning to evaluate the
> bigalloc features in our production system. The performance looks
> promising, but we have also met with a severe problem with bigalloc.
>
> As ext4 now allocates one block for the directory even if it is empty,
> it is really space-consuming for some applications which uses hashes
> and create large numbers of directories(AUFS in squid for example).
>
> ocfs2 now uses inline data for a new created file/dir so that some
> small ones can have their data within the inodes. It is really helpful
> and we are considering adding the same to ext4.
>
> What is your option? I haven't been involved in ext4 for a long time,
> so I am not sure whether there was a similar try which was abandoned
> finally. Anyway, with bigalloc added, it is really needed for us to
> support inline data now.

At one time we discussed storing file tails in xattrs to allow small
files stored inside the inode itself.  There is already an EXT2_TAIL_FL
that was used on reiserfs that could be reused for ext4, though it
would need a new INCOMPAT feature flag.  This idea could be expanded
to sharing a single bigalloc chunk as an xattr block between multiple
files, and each one storing their file/dir data in a "system.data"
xattr (or something similar).

For small directories, the "." and ".." entries could even be stored
inside the inode in this "system.data" xattr, since they are only 24
bytes in size and there are ~100 bytes of xattr space in a 256-byte
inode.  By making all "small data" (smaller than, say 1/2 of a chunk)
an xattr, the xattr code can use the most efficient location for the
storage, either inside the inode, or in a shared block.

I read once that there are many directories with only one or two
files in them, and 100 bytes could hold 3 or 4 dirents, or more
for larger inodes.  This would probably be an improvement even for
non-bigalloc filesystems, since small directories could be handled
without seeks, as could very small files.

A quick check of my home directory shows mostly small subdirectories:

dirs=44859 files=677028 filename_chars=12909288 mean_chars=19
dirs: zero_dirent=1609 one_dirent=12937 two_dirent=2456 mean_dirent=17

so more 37% of directories have 2 or fewer files/subdirs, and the
average size of a directory is ((19 + 3 + 8) * 17) = 510 bytes.
The +3 is for rounding the name up to a multiple of 4, and +8 is
for the inode, length, and type fields in the dirent.  The same looks
to be true for /usr as well.

So, in this case, close to half of directories could be held entirely
within the system.data xattr inside a 512-byte inode.

Cheers, Andreas