Date:	Sun, 9 Oct 2011 17:10:54 -0500
From:	Matt Parnell <mparnell@...il.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Bug In ext4 in kernels > 2.6.39 - Not mounting with
 arguments/options I specify in fstab on root remount

FYI this behavior still occurs with every revision up to the current
3.0.6 working tree. I do not think it's my distro's initscripts,
they've been rolling 3.0.X kernels for some time and those behave the
same way, so it's not some sort of parsing issues - Arch's initscripts
are all bash based for the most part anyway, see the attached from my
system - that's the entire boot initscript minus my daemons.

There's no alternative init system for Archlinux at this point, I'm
working on porting OpenRC from gentoo as I have time to write
initscripts from scratch, but that's a slow moving project.

Whatever the case, the following are from my most recent attempt with
a 3.0.6 build. Manually attempting to remount rw still fails, and no
matter whether I use /dev/sdb1 or /dev/root, I get the same behavior.

/proc/mounts (as you can see it's not being remounted rw for some
reason - /dev/sdc1 is the flash drive I used to pipe this info onto):

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=4059824k,nr_inodes=1014956,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
/run /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/disk ext3
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback
0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/tmp vfat
rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro
0 0

/etc/mtab (not useful, I know, but for reference):

/dev/root / ext4
rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=0,discard,commit=0 0 0
devtmpfs /dev devtmpfs rw,relatime,size=4059656k,nr_inodes=1014914,mode=755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
/run /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0

/etc/fstab:

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0
/dev/sdb1 / ext4
defaults,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,barrier=0,discard 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/disk ext3
defaults,data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime,user,exec 0 0
tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0

>On 09/13/2011 09:49 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>On 9/13/11 4:01 AM, Matt Parnell wrote:
>
>Interestingly, this also happened and worked, which I think is a bug,
>how can barrier=0 and 1 at the same time?
>
>EXT4-fs (sdb1): re-mounted. Opts: user_xattr,barrier=1,barrier=0
>
>Fairly certain that the parser will just take the last value specified
>for the option.
>
>/proc/mounts likely says "nobarrier" when you specify it this way?
>
>-Eric

Download attachment "rc.sysinit" of type "application/octet-stream" (8742 bytes)