Date:	Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:19:15 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
Cc:	Aditya Kali <adityakali@...gle.com>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Nauman Rafique <nauman@...gle.com>,
	TheodoreTso <tytso@...gle.com>,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	"Alasdair G.Kergon" <agk@...hat.com>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Metadata Replication for Ext4

On 2011-10-19, at 8:10 AM, Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Aditya Kali wrote:
>
>> This is a proposal for new ext4 feature that replicates ext4 metadata
>> and provides recovery in case where device blocks storing filesystem
>> metadata goes bad. When the filesystem encounters a bad block during
>> read, it returns EIO to the user. If this is a data block for some
>> inode then the user application can handle this error in many
>> different ways. But if we fail reading a filesystem metadata block
>> (bitmap block, inode table block, directory block, etc.), we could
>> potentially lose access to much larger amount of data and render the
>> filesystem unusable. It is difficult (and not expected) for the user
>> application to recover from such filesystem metadata loss. This
>> problem is observed to be much more severe on SSDs which tend to show
>> more frequent read errors when compared to disks over the same
>> duration.
>>
>> There are different ways in which block read errors in different
>> metadata could be handled. For example, if the filesystem is unable to
>> read a block/inode allocation bitmap then we could just assume that
>> all the blocks/inodes in that block group are allocated and let fsck
>> fix this later. For inode table and directory blocks, we could play
>> some (possibly unreliable) tricks with fsck. In either case, the
>> filesystem will be fully usable only after it’s fsck’d (which is a
>> disruptive process on production systems). Darrick Wong’s recent
>> patches for metadata checksumming will detect even more non-hardware
>> failure related problems, but they don’t offer any recovery mechanism
>> from the checksum failures.
>>
>> Metadata replication is another approach that can allow the filesystem
>> to recover from the device read errors or checksumming errors at
>> runtime and allow continued usage of the filesystem. In case of read
>> failures or checksum failures, reading from the replica can allow live
>> recovery of the lost metadata. This document gives some details about
>> how the Ext4 metadata could be replicated and used by the filesystem.
>
> Hi Aditya,
>
> While reading those three paragraphs I found the idea interesting,
> however it would be just great to have more generic solution for this
> problem. One, which comes immediately to mind, is mirroring, however
> this will, of course, mirror all data, not just metadata.
>
> But, we are already marking metadata-read bios (REQ_META), so it has
> better priority. What about doing the same thing on write side and
> having metadata-mirroring dm target which will mirror only those ?

While I like the idea of metadata mirroring, I share Lukaz's concern about the added complexity to the code.

I've already done a bunch of experimentation with formatting the filesystem with flex_bg and storing the metadata in the first block group of every 256 block groups, and then allocating these block groups on flash via DM, and the other 255 block groups in the flex_bg are on RAID-6.

This locates all of the static metadata in 1 of 256 block groups, and ext4 will already prefer to allocate the dynamic metadata in the first group of a flex_bg.

It wouldn't be very difficult to set up the metadata groups as RAID-1 mirrors.

> This way we'll get generic solution for all file systems, the only thing
> that file system should do in order to take an advantage of this is to
> mark its metadata writes accordingly.
>
> However there is one glitch, which is that we currently do not have an
> fs - dm(or raid, or whatever) interface, which would allow file system
> to ask for mirrored data (or fixed by error correction codes) in case
> that the original data are corrupted. But that is something which has to
> be done anyway, so we just have one more reason to do this sooner
> that later.

Right, there needs to be some way for the upper layer to know which copy was read, so that in case of a checksum failure it can request the other copy.  For RAID-5/6 it would need to know which disks were used for parity (if any) and then request parity reconstruction with a different disk until it matches the checksum.