Date:	Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:34:36 +0100
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Robin Dong <hao.bigrat@...il.com>
Cc:	Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>,
	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add new extent structure in ext4

  Hello,

On Mon 23-01-12 20:51:53, Robin Dong wrote:
> After the bigalloc-feature is completed in ext4, we could have much more
> big size of block-group (also bigger continuous space), but the extent
> structure of files now limit the extent size below 128MB, which is not
> optimal.
  It is not optimal but does it really make difference? I.e. what
improvement do you expect from enlarging extents from 128MB to say 4GB (or
do you expect to be consistently able to allocate continguous chunks larger
than 4GB?)? All you save is a single read of an indirect block... Is that
really worth the complications with another extent format? But maybe I miss
some benefit.

									Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>