Date:	Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:30:52 -0500
From:	Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Ric Wheeler <ricwheeler@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Ext4 developer's workshop website is now up

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 03:44:03PM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> One question, any chance to pull it back closer in to LSF or have it
> on one of the collab summit days? Having it take place on the Friday
> adds several hotel nights I suspect for non-locals (and significant
> cost)....

Well, keep in mind that LSF is starting Sunday already, so it means
for people who are from out of town, the weekend[1] is already shot;
there were issues with hotel space, from what I was told when I asked
Angela, which is why it's Sunday and Monday as opposed to Monday and
Tuesday.

[1] Which for me means I miss participating in my church's Palm Sunday
celebration, and LSF and the Collab Summit overlaps with Holy Week.
On the other hand I believe it was last year that Collab Summit
overlaps with Passover, so I guess it's equal-opportunity stomping on
religious holdays.  :-/

So it's really only two extra hotel nights; if we met on Saturday
instead of Friday, it gets hard for people who are local to the bay
area, as well as people who might be conferencing continuously from
the Ext4 Workshop, through LSF, through to the Collab Summit.  And
meeting during the LSF gets hard from a scheduling point of view,
especially since XFS is already meeting (all day?) during Collab
Summit already.

Also, there are some relatively inexpensive hotels (under $100/day) in
the South Bay, and if necessary I would be happy to organize some car
pools so that people can get back and forth from their hotels to the
Google Campus, and from Mountain View up to San Francisco on Saturday
to save on ground transportation results.

Regards,

						- Ted