Date:	Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:39:04 +0800
From:	Yongqiang Yang <xiaoqiangnk@...il.com>
To:	Allison Henderson <achender@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>,
	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, Mingming Cao <cmm@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: delayed extent tree test cases

> Well, it was my impression that the purpose of extent locks it to replace
> i_mutex.  Maybe I dont quite understand what you mean by user space?
Sorry, I understood that wrongly.  Thank you for your explanation and
I think I am clear now:-)

Let's get back to concerns, there are two concerns:sync and dead lock.

I don't think we need to sync two trees, actually IMHO it is
impossible to sync the two trees.  Consider that write acquire lock on
extent which exceeds the tail of a file before doing actual writing,
that says, we need to lock an extent before it appears in extent tree
on disk.

Below is the 2nd concern quoted from your email:
 For example, say process A locks a logical range of blocks, 1-5 and
process B locks a logical range of blocks 6-10.  But if the on disk
extents are actually 1-2, 3-7 and 8-10, we have a situation where both
processes own a piece of the 3-7 extent, but they wont know it until
they get down into the on disk extents. And it seems to me they should
really have the whole on disk extent locked before they do any on disk
splitting.  And now we have a deadlock condition since one of them is
going to have to give up their lock before the other can proceed.  So
that's when I started thinking maybe we need to make sure that the
locked ranges are extent aligned.  Does that make sense?

I don't think we should hold extent lock just before we modify extent
tree on disk .  All operations that will modify extent tree on disk
have hold extent lock before they acquire i_data_sem, so it is safe
for them to split extent or do something else, because they have hold
the extent lock they should hold.

Continue with your example, both processes own a piece of 3-7 extent,
so they have hold their extent lock before acquiring i_data_sem, if
process A splits the extent, for example, it removes extent it locked
from on disk tree.  The piece of 3-7 extent which process A does not
lock is still there.  Both processed works with no problem.

Yongqiang.

--
Best Wishes
Yongqiang Yang