Date:	16 Mar 2012 17:04:46 -0400
From:	"George Spelvin" <linux@...izon.com>
To:	jkosina@...e.cz, linux@...izon.com
Cc:	jack@...e.cz, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org
Subject: Re: Oops in ext3_block_to_path.isra.40+0x26/0x11b

> So it might be the culprit. As the reason of the corruption is not yet
> understood, it might be that suspend/resume cycle is not necessary
> pre-requisite for this to trigger, it might just make it more likely.

It might just be virtual console switching.  Normally I live in X,
but I might have switched to a text console for some reason (I don't
specifically remember doing this, but it's very plausible for me).

> And the corruption is observed to be indeed several writes of 0x00000000,
> so it could easily lead to null pointer dereferences all over the place.
>
> Are you able to reproduce the problem if you turn kernel modesetting off?

Unfortunately, this is the only time it's happened to me with kernel
modesetting *on*.  Would repeated checksums of a kernel tree be a good
way to detect random memory stomping?