Date:	Wed, 16 May 2012 08:14:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
To:	Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>
cc:	Allison Henderson <achender@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: punch-hole should go beyond i_size

On Tue, 15 May 2012, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 15:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>
> To: Allison Henderson <achender@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
> Cc: Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
>     Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
>     Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
> Subject: Re: punch-hole should go beyond i_size
>
> On Tue, 15 May 2012, Allison Henderson wrote:

> > > I see the -EOPNOTSUPPs have gone into 3.4's ext4_punch_hole() - thanks -
> > > but the i_size issue remains unfixed.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were
> > > more complicated than you had hoped - I had no intention of trying a patch
> > > myself!  It's not an actual problem for me, but I thought I'd just send a
> > > reminder, before I move out of the hole-punching business.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had a fix for this a while ago and I believe Lukas had rebased it
> > when he was working on some punch hole optimizations, but Im not sure
> > what happened to it after that.  I think Lukas might still be working
> > on that set?  If not, I can take a peek at it again and see if I can
> > get it updated and resent.  Thx!
> >
> > Allison Henderson
>
> Thanks, Allison.  I just added Jan to the Cc list to make sure he sees,
> since we mentioned this in the inode_dio_wait thread (which I skilfully
> directed to an almost disjoint set of addressees - though I expect he
> already saw via linux-ext4).
>
> Hugh

Yes, we've been talking about this issue on LSF with Ted and the
conclusion is that we want to wait for the range locks to be ready.
This way we can avoid taking imutex for the punch hole when punching
beyond isize which we would have to do otherwise.

I am not sure how big of an issue this is, probably not so big. If
we can not wait for the range locks, I can make a patch with imutex
protection.

Thanks!
-Lukas