Date:	Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:01:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
To:	Wang Sheng-Hui <shhuiw@...il.com>
cc:	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>,
	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: one question about xfstests for ext4?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Wang Sheng-Hui wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:27:28 +0800
> From: Wang Sheng-Hui <shhuiw@...il.com>
> To: Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
>     ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
> Subject: one question about xfstests for ext4?
>
> Dear all,
>
> I want to run xfstests on ext4.
> I have tried the official xfstests git tree, but in my test, I got many
> 	"[not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4".
> 001	 6s
> 002	 0s
> 003	 [not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4
> 004	 [not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4
> 005	 0s
> 006	 2s
> 007	 3s
> 008	 [not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4
> 009	 [not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4
> 010	 [not run] dbtest was not built for this platform
> 011	 2s
> 012	 [not run] not suitable for this filesystem type: ext4
>

> Is this expected? Or do I need to make some config changes?
> I wonder if there is any xfstests for ex4 specific git tree?

Hi,

it actually is called XFStests for a reason :). Well historically it
started off as a xfs test suite, but over time it got more and more
generic tests and support for other file system. There are still lot
of tests which are file system specific and if you look at the test
itself, you'll see what it actually does.

There might be some tests which maybe could be changed to generic
tests, or more file systems can be supported. That said, if you find
a test which you think would make sense for other file systems as
well, then please by all means feel free to send a patch.

So to answer your question, there is nothing wrong with your setup
and there is no ext4 specific xfstests tree, we all share the same
xfstests tree. Some tests simply makes sense only for some file
systems, since they are supposed to be focused on certain
functionality.

Hope it helps

Regards,
-Lukas