Date:	Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:44:13 -0500
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
Cc:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>,
	Alexander Beregalov <a.beregalov@...il.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 3.8.0-rc1: WARNING: at fs/ext4/page-io.c:232

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 12:04:36PM +0400, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
> In fact this is my fault that we still not have autotest for that.
> I'm think of add crash-test to xfstests which should trigger journal
> abort and forced umount. Later test should mount FS which trigger
> journal_replay and orphan_cleanup.

We could create some tests in xfstests which force a crash via "echo b
> /proc/sysrq-trigger", but the trick is would require xfstests to
install something in the /etc/rc scripts so xfstests could resume
right after it came back --- and perhaps to echo something to the
console which automated test runners (such as the one I use which I've
published at [1] could capture so they would know that they should
restart the system.

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git

For now the simplest way to test this is to use the file system image
in tests/f_orphan_extents_inode/image.gz, and make this be an
ext4-specific test.  This is how I tested it when I created my fix (in
parallel with Zheng's patch).  The compressed file system image is
only 564 bytes --- and was made deliberately w/o a journal so it could
be that small --- and the lack of a journal was how I found the
infinite loop problem which was fixed in the 2/2 patch in my patches.
So including this compressed fs image in xfstests is probably the way
I would suggest for now.

							- Ted