Date:	Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:01:44 +0800
From:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Mapping range locking

[Cc linux-ext4 mailing list because we are planning to add extent-level
locking in ext4]

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:26:07PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   I'd like to discuss idea of using range locking to serialize IO to a
> range of pages. I have POC patches implementing the locking and converting
> ext3 to use it. They pass xfstests and I plan to post them once I gather
> some basic performace data (how much does the range locking cost us).

I'd be interested to discuss this topic.  Currently I am working on
extent status tree for ext4 filesystem.  The final goal of extent status
tree is the implementation of extent-level locking (a range locking),
which makes us be able to do parallel writes when different extents are
manipulated.

Regards,
                                                - Zheng