Date:	Tue, 05 Feb 2013 14:30:24 +0000
From:	Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@...lan.co.uk>
To:	Lukáš Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
Cc:	Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai@...il.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Maximum number of directories

Hi,

On Tuesday 05 February 2013 14:06:14 Lukáš Czerner wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:36:29 +0000
> > From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin@...lan.co.uk>
> > To: Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai@...il.com>
> > Cc: linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
> > Subject: Re: Maximum number of directories
> >
> > On Monday 04 February 2013 18:49:54 Prashant Shah wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Since, each directory will use a inode entry, there is some mismatch
> > > with ~31 million directories and 19901 inodes in use. The inode usage
> > > count should be much larger. You have max 29 million inodes available
> > > - so max can be 29 million directories.
> >
> > Yeah, I totally forgot about the inode situation on ext filesystems. So is
> > tune2fs giving wrong stats for live (mounted) filesystems?
>
> Not sure what situation you're referring to. Directory as any other
> file is represented by an inode and there is a limited number of
> inodes in the file system.

The situation that inode blocks are statically allocated at mkfs time.

> Using tune2fs on live/mounted file system is bad idea and the
> information might not be correct (exactly for this reason it is
> _NOT_ recommended to run fsck on live file system). Use 'df -i' if
> you want to get information about inode count.

Yes, later I figured out that tune2fs -l does not give current stats for live
filesystems. I did not expect that to be dangerous though. And I also forgot
about 'df -i'. Thing is, I did not hit this limit since the previous century
so guess I subconsciously assumed inode limits are an outdated concept. :)

Regards,

Tvrtko