Date:	Tue, 02 Apr 2013 13:47:44 +0400
From:	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
To:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>,
	CAI Qian <caiqian@...hat.com>
Cc:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-s390 <linux-s390@...r.kernel.org>,
	Steve Best <sbest@...hat.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: s390x: kernel BUG at fs/ext4/inode.c:1591! (powerpc too!)

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:15:07 -0700 (PDT), Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my machine (PowerBook G4) just crashed and the only thing netconsole was
> able to transmit was:
>
>   ------------[ cut here ]------------
>   kernel BUG at /usr/local/src/linux-git/fs/ext4/inode.c:1591!
>
> But (unfortunately) nothing more. I have no clear way to reproduce this,
> but I have some kind of a (longish) backstory to this, see below. The
> system is running 3.9-rc4, its .config and dmesg:
>
>   http://nerdbynature.de/bits/3.9.0-rc1/config.gz (oldconfig'ed to -rc4)
>   http://nerdbynature.de/bits/3.9.0-rc1/dmesg.txt (w/o the calltrace at the end)
>

> I was having trouble all day downloading a file via bittorrent to an
> ext4 filesystem. It came always back as corrupted, though I won't be able
> to point out the corruption, as don't know the contents of the source
> file. The ext4 filesystem sits on top of a dm-crypt LUKS device:
>
>  /dev/mapper/wdc0 on /mnt/data type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,data=ordered)
>
> While looking around as to why the file would be corrupt, the internet
> suggested "bad memory" or "bad disk" or "kernel bugs". I have dismissed
> the first two, as the system is rock-stable otherwise and dmesg has no
> kernel messages suggesting disk or filesystem problems.
Unfortunately it is like a regression which we missed
due to s390x and ppc is not well tested.

> The file in question is ~800 MB in size. Not getting any further on a
> solution to my corrupted file, I decided to download a 4.3GB Fedora
> installation image via bittorrent to the same filesystem and that's when
> the machine crashed, leaving only the single BUG message as a hint.
Ohh that is sad. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this on my own
environment. I have power mac pro G5 but w/o graphics card, so i cant
install linux on it. If you know how to do that w/o monitor please let
me know.

So you just do bunch of writes/mmap to fallocated area.
The only guess I have is that some bug in extent status tree

Please run test with a patch which was posted here:
This patch enable sanity checks for extent_status tree.
Also please try following patch. It voluntary disable es_lookup functionality.

View attachment "disable-es_lookup_extent.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (433 bytes)