Date:	Thu, 16 May 2013 14:31:45 -0400
From:	Autif Khan <autif.mlist@...il.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: How can I flush all writes before yanking the power cable?

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Autif Khan <autif.mlist@...il.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com> wrote:
> > On 2/7/13 10:43 AM, Autif Khan wrote:
> >> The standard operating procedure to power down my machine is to switch
> >> it off. To work around this, we use mSATA SSDs (actually we recently
> >> switched from SATA SSDs) with linux on a read only partition.
> >
> > Not sure the SSD part makes any significant difference, but the RO
> > mount should.
> >
> >> This works just fine, however, we want to be able to upgrade some
> >> parts of the application. To do this, we have put the application on
> >> /app partition. We mount it read only at start up. When we want to
> >> upgrade the app, we remount read-write sync (mount -o remount,rw,sync
> >> /app) perform the write operations and remount read only.
> >>
> >> If we yank the power cable after this, we get file system errors on
> >> the next reboot.
> >
> > What kind of errors? (and on what kernel?  Are you mounted with
> > barriers enabled?)
>
> Filesystem check errors that the OS throws at you on an unclean
> shutdown. Where it asks you to 'F'ix, 'S'kip, 'Ignore or 'M'anually
> fix the error using fsck. The kernel is a custom kernel for our
> hardware.
>
> > If you use barriers, remount RO, that completes, you yank the power,
> > and you see corruption, I would guess one of a few things is happening:
> >
> > 1) You're not mounting w/ barriers, and you lose data in the SSD's cache
>
> That was precisely my ignorance. I did not know about barrier. Adding
> it during mount ro and remount rw seems to have fixed these issues.
>
> Thanks you very much for all your help.
>
> Autif
>
> > 2) You *are* mounting w/ barriers, and the SSD is lying to you

Resurrecting this thread as we have run into a very peculiar problem.

We now mount our partitions either ro or rw,barriers=1 and remount
ro,barrier=1 after write is complete.

This worked beautifully well on the one prototype that we have.

We built another prototype with a different mSATA SSD and we are now
seeing FS corruption after we mount rw,barrier=1, write, remount
ro,barrier=1 and finally yank the power cable (after a considerable
wait ~10 seconds). We tried 3-4 different SSDs but we have the one SSD
that does not exhibit this issue and several SSDs that do exhibit this
issue. The issue travels with the SSD.

I am guessing that the SSD is lying (Eric's choice of the word - above :-)

How can we tell if an SSD supports barriers or flushes etc?

(Apologies to Eric for spam - somehow I replied, instead of reply to all)