Date:	Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:35:55 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	Autif Khan <autif.mlist@...il.com>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /dev/disk/by-label missing after upgrade to 1.42.7

On 6/13/13 2:45 PM, Autif Khan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Autif Khan <autif.mlist@...il.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are using /dev/disk/by-label/OURLABEL to mount USB disk partitions.
>>
>> We were using Ubuntu 12.04 with 1.42 version of e2fsprogs - where we
>> encountered SSD corruption issues on unclean powerdown. It was
>> suggested that we upgrade to the latest e2fsprogs
>> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=137035378614543&w=2).
>>
>> After the upgrade to 1.42.7, we do not have /dev/disk/by-label
>>
>> I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but I thought
>> that I should start here and ask in udev mailing list later - (that
>> whole thing about correlation mumble causation).
>>
>> I am still researching how /dev/disk/by-label comes into existence -
>> please advice if there is something obvious that I am missing.
>>

> Thanks djwong#ext4 for all the help on IRC
>
> It seems like blkid -o udev /dev/sdb1 displays info about the volume -
> which is used by udev rules to populates /dev/disk/by-label
>
> The output when e2fsprogs version 1.42 was used:
>
> ubuntu@...0013950af6fb:/lib/udev/rules.d$ sudo blkid -o udev -p /dev/sdb1

ubuntu isn't using blkid from util-linux?

That's really where it's maintained these days, a little surprised that
blkid's still in use from e2fsprogs, though I don't know my ubuntu
releases.  Maybe this is Crufty Crow?  ;)

Fedora has been building w/ --disable-libblkid for quite a while,
just FWIW.

-Eric