Date:	Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:09:57 -0400
From:	InvTraySts <invtrasys@...il.com>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Need help with Data Recovery on Ext4 partitions that became
 corrupted on running OS

So for instance, where I can run:
mount /dev/sda1 /media/tmp

It will attempt to mount but complain about either a bad filesystem,
superblock, etc. If I try to mount the cloned drive:
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Looking back at dmesg the results are different:
[767942.335569] JBD2: Invalid start block of journal: 0
[767942.335572] EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal
[767947.740996] EXT3-fs (sdf1): error: can't find ext3 filesystem on dev sdf1.
[767947.741123] EXT4-fs (sdf1): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem
[767947.741253] FAT-fs (sdf1): invalid media value (0xad)
[767947.741255] FAT-fs (sdf1): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem
[767947.741403] EXT2-fs (sdf1): error: can't find an ext2 filesystem
on dev sdf1.
[767957.299593] EXT4-fs (sdf1): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

Looking at dumpe2fs for the filesystem on /dev/sdf1 (sdf is the cloned
drive, the actual drive, sda, is in the original e-mail)
root@...ver:~# dumpe2fs /dev/sdf1
dumpe2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
dumpe2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdf1
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

dd didn't say it had any errors, and the log file for ddrescue doesn't
appear to give any errors either. I can run it again though. Should
there be any difference in the command that I run this time? I was
under the impression that notrunc,noerror,sync would have been
suitable to clone the drive over.