Date:	Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:21:21 -0500
From:	Srivatsan Canchivaram <crsrivatstechnical@...il.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Segmentation fault in mke2fs

Hi,
I have built e2fsprogs-1.42.8 for a MIPS64-based board. The tools were
generated on an Intel machine with a MIPS64 cross compiler.

MIPS64 board info:
Linux kernel: 3.4.27
Cavium Octeon Plus MIPS64 dual core processor
256 MB RAM

The MIPS-based board will have a 2 TB NTFS (or VFAT) formatted
external USB hard drive connected to it. The goal is to format the 2
TB drive from NTFS/ VFAT to EXT4 using the 'mke2fs' program.

'Mke2fs' results in a segmentation fault when formatting to ext4:

mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda1
mke2fs 1.42.8 (20-Jun-2013)
Segmentation fault

As a parallel test, I tried formatting to EXT3 and this worked
correctly. The issue only seems to occur for EXT4.

Upon further debug, I found the segmentation fault to occur in
mke2fs.c: end of the should_do_undo() function in the following call:
io_channel_close(channel);

I tried tracing through the code in the should_do_undo() function.
The manager->open() call succeeds.
An issue of note occurs in the following line:
    retval = io_channel_read_blk64(channel, 1, -SUPERBLOCK_SIZE, &super);

The following shows the contents of the 'channel' data structure
before and after the above function call:

Before call to io_channel_read_blk64()
should_do_undo: Channel structure address = 0x1005fd70
should_do_undo: magic = 2133571333, name: /dev/sda1, block_size = 1024
should_do_undo: refcount = 1, flags = 4, align = 0

After call to io_channel_read_blk64()
After Read blk64: Channel structure address = 0x668b1e1a
Segmentation fault

So, the io_channel_read_blk64() function somehow modifies the
"channel" structure pointer. Trying to read the structure after the
call results in a seg fault.

In the io_channel_read_blk64() function, the code takes the following route:
   if (channel->manager->read_blk64)
        return (channel->manager->read_blk64)(channel, block,
                              count, data);

If you have any thoughts on this issue or need additional details,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Sri