Date:	Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:47:00 +0800
From:	Zheng Liu <gnehzuil.liu@...il.com>
To:	Ian Nartowicz <claws@...towicz.co.uk>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: inline_data feature

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 03:45:12PM +0000, Ian Nartowicz wrote:
> Ian Nartowicz <claws <at> nartowicz.co.uk> writes:
>

> > I have been trying to test the inline_data feature of EXT4.  I am using
> > kernel 3.9.5 and have compiled e2fsprogs from the pu branch.  I am able to
> > set the feature and apparently to use the filesystem, but I get a lot of
> > warnings from the kernel and fsck reports several errors and then crashes.
> >
> > Typical kernel warnings from dmesg:
> > EXT4-fs warning (device sda10): ext4_rmdir:2714: empty directory has too
> > many links (9)
> > EXT4-fs error (device sda10): empty_inline_dir:1650: inode #26263: block
> > 1924: comm pool: bad entry in directory: directory entry across range -
> > offset=40(40), inode=26270, rec_len=8020, name_len=2
> > EXT4-fs warning (device sda10): empty_inline_dir:1657: bad inline directory
> > (dir #26263) - inode 26270, rec_len 8020, name_len 2inline size 60
> >
> > Data does appear to be correctly written and read from the filesystem
> > without corruption.  Small directories appear with size 60 bytes or 132
> > bytes rather than 4.1kB so everything seems to work.
> >
> > --
> > the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org
> >

> I have built with the latest patchset and fsck is now a happy bunny, at
> least on my first pass.

I'd appreciate your testing.

> However there is a different problem, possibly not with fsck.  For my tests
> I copied the contents of /home onto the new partition.  fsck reports, and
> other utilities confirm, that symlinks with targets of 60 characters or
> longer were corrupted by the copy.  For example, a truncated symlink:
> All That You Can't Leave Behind.m3u -> /data/cd/U2/All That You Can't Leave
> Behind/playlist.flac.m
>
> If I create the same symlink with ln, it appears OK until I unmount and
> mount the partition, then it shows truncated.  fsck doesn't like it but is
> unable to correct it.

That would be great if you can provide some steps to reproduce this
issue.  I write a simple script to try to reproduce it, but I couldn't
hit the problem.  Am I missing something?

  #!/bin/bash

  mkdir test
  cd test
  filename="ALL-That-You-Can't-Leave-Behind.m3u"

  echo "hello" > $filename
  ln -s $filename symlinkfile
  readlink symlinkfile

  newdir="data/cd"