Date:	Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:46:52 -0700
From:	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>
To:	Amit Sahrawat <amit.sahrawat83@...il.com>
Cc:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Ext4: deadlock occurs when running fsstress and ENOSPC errors
 are seen.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 01:21:34PM +0530, Amit Sahrawat wrote:
> Sorry Ted, if it caused the confusion.
>
> There were actually 2 parts to the problem, the logs in the first mail
> were from the original situation – where in there were many block
> groups and error prints also showed that.
>
> EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1493, 0
> clusters in bitmap, 58339 in gd
> EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1000, 0
> clusters in bitmap, 3 in gd
> EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1425, 0
> clusters in bitmap, 1 in gd
> JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda1, blocknr = 0). There's
> a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
> JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda1, blocknr = 0). There's
> a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
>
> 1)	Original case – when the disk got corrupted and we only had the
> logs and the hung task messages. But not the HDD on which issue was
> observed.
> 2)	In order to reproduce the problem as was coming through the logs
> (which highlighted the problem in the bitmap corruption). To minimize
> the environment and make a proper case, we created a smaller partition
> size and with only 2 groups. And intentionally corrupted the group 1
> (our intention was just to replicate the error scenario).

I'm assuming that the original broken fs simply had a corrupt block bitmap, and
that the dd thing was just to simulate that corruption in a testing
environment?

> 3)	After corruption we used ‘fsstress’  - we got the similar problem
> as was coming the original logs. – We shared our analysis after this
> point for looping in the writepages part the free blocks mismatch.

Hm.  I tried it with 3.15-rc1 and didn't see any hangs.  Corrupt bitmaps shut
down allocations from the block group and the FS continues, as expected.

> 4)	We came across ‘Darrick’ patches(in which it also mentioned about
> how to corrupt to reproduce the problem) and applied on our
> environment. It solved the initial problem about the looping in
> writepages, but now we got hangs at other places.

There are hundreds of Darrick patches ... to which one are you referring? :)
(What was the subject line?)

> Using ‘tune2fs’ is not a viable solution in our case, we can only
> provide the solution via. the kernel changes. So, we made the changes
> as shared earlier.

Would it help if you could set errors=remount-ro in mke2fs?

--D