Date:	Wed, 21 May 2014 23:20:03 +0200
From:	chrubis@...e.cz
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	Luk???? Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>,
	Xiaoguang Wang <wangxg.fnst@...fujitsu.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: OpenPosix test case mmap_11-4 fails in ext4 filesystem

Hi!
> There is a pretty large amount of overlap between LTP and xfstests,
> and xfstests are what most of the file system developers are using,
> and we have developed a lot of automated test automation which means
> running xfstests is very easy and convenient.  For example:
>
> 	https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git/tree/README
>
> The ability for me to build a kernel and then with a single command,
> "kvm-xfstests smoke", do a quick verification in about 30 minutes, is
> very convenient.

LTP is automated to a degree where you run single script and get a file
with list of failed testcases later. We do not have any kind of kvm
integration though.

> As I recall, ltp was integrated with autotest, and my experience with
> autotest at multiple companies is if anything, worse than ltp's
> reputation.  (I considered ltp to be mostly harmless, albeit not
> particularly useful, whereas I considered autotest to be activetly
> harmful to engineer productivity.)

The autotest integration is not a part of the LTP at all. I remember
seeing it somewhere but I've never used it/looked at the code.

LTP has it's own script and testdriver to run testcases, but given that
LTP tests are just binaries that are mostly self-contained it's not
doing much more than starting a test, writing logfiles and killing
lefover processes (if the tests fails to collect them itself). I will
not pretend that it's clean and well designed code but at least it works
fine (as a matter of fact I've started to work on redesigning/rewriting
it from scratch some time ago).

> Anyway, it's already the case that most of the useful file-system
> specific bits of LTP has been cherry picked into xfstests, and I
> suspect it will be a lot easier to get a few additional LTP test cases
> added into xfstests, than it will be to convince a large number of
> file system developers that they should (a) try to figure out how to
> integrate LTP into their test harnesses, and (b) how to avoid
> duplicating tests which xfstests are already running.

Well I can personally help with (a).

The test in question here (mmap_11-4) is a part of the Open Posix
Testsuite that continues to live in LTP. The whole testsuite runs in
about 30 minutes and covers most of the POSIX interfaces in ~1600
testcases.

Then there is a syscalls testsuite which covers, in addition to the
POSIX specs, some of the Linux specific interfaces too. The runtime is
about 15 minutes for ~1030 testcases.

I guess that we can filter filesystem related syscalls quite easily. The
overlap would take more work though. In LTP we have mostly conformance
testcases and some stress testcases. I'm not much familiar with xfstests
and its coverage.

And we have a more tests that may be interesting to fs maintaners, there
are aio testcases (which are likely covered by xfstests allready), some
fs stress tests, ...

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@...e.cz