Date:	Mon, 16 Jun 2014 15:48:18 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	"Joseph D. Wagner" <joe@...ephdwagner.info>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: dump ext4 performance degrades linearly as disk fills

On Jun 15, 2014, at 11:43 PM, Joseph D. Wagner <joe@...ephdwagner.info> wrote:
> Background:
> - I use lvm snapshots on ext4 for backup.  I use dump to backup the snapshots.  The backup goes to an external hard drive over usb 3.0. The external hard drive has 1 partition formatted with ext4.
>
> Problem:
> - I've noticed the performance of dump to my ext4 backup degrades linearly as the disk fills.  In the output, the kbps in the status line keeps getting lower as the percent complete keeps getting higher.

One major cause for performance degradation as a disk fills is that the
inner tracks of a disk (higher block addresses) have about 1/2 the
throughput of the outer tracks (lower block addresses).  This means it
is basically impossible to get more than 50% of the performance from
blocks that are allocated on the higher addresses in the filesystem.

You could test this by creating a partition on the low blocks of the disk,
one that consumes most of the remaining space, and one at the high blocks
of the disk, create filesystems on the low- and high-block partitions, and
then running benchmarks on them.

Cheers, Andreas