Date:	Sat, 05 Jul 2014 06:30:35 +0400
From:	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, David Jander <david@...tonic.nl>
Cc:	Matteo Croce <technoboy85@...il.com>,
	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4: journal has aborted

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 14:45:39 -0400, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 03:45:59PM +0200, David Jander wrote:
> > > 1) Some kind of eMMC driver bug, which is possibly causing the CACHE
> > > FLUSH command not to be sent.
> >
> > How can I investigate this? According to the fio tests I ran and the
> > explanation Dmitry gave, I conclude that incorrectly sending of CACHE-FLUSH
> > commands is the only thing left to be discarded on the eMMC driver front,
> > right?
>
> Can you try using an older kernel?  The report that that I quoted from
> John Stultz (https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/12/19) indicated that it was
> a problem that showed up in "recent kernels", and a bisection search
> seemed to point towards an unknown problem in the eMMC driver.
> Quoting from https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/12/762:
>
>     "However, despite many many reboots the last good commit in my
>     branch - bb5cba40dc7f079ea7ee3ae760b7c388b6eb5fc3 (mmc: block:
>     Fixup busy detection while...) doesn't ever show the issue. While
>     the immediately following commit which bisect found -
>     e7f3d22289e4307b3071cc18b1d8ecc6598c0be4 (mmc: mmci: Handle CMD
>     irq before DATA irq) always does.
>
>     The immensely frustrating part is while backing that single change off
>     from its commit sha always makes the issue go away, reverting that
>     change from on top of v3.15 doesn't. The issue persists....."
>
> > > 2) Some kind of hardware problem involving flash translation layers
> > > not having durable transactions of their flash metadata across power
> > > failures.
> >
> > That would be like blaming Micron (the eMMC part manufacturer) for faulty
> > firmware... could be, but how can we test this?
>
> The problem is that people who write these programs end up doing
> one-offs, as opposed to something that is well packaged and stands the
> test of time.  But basically what we want is a program that writes to
> sequential blocks in a block device with the following information:
>
> *) a timestamp (seconds and microseconds from gettimeofday)
> *) a 64-bit generation number (which is randomly
>    generated and the same for each run of the progam)
> *) a 32-bit sequence number (starts at zero and
>    increments once per block
> *) a 32-bit "sync" number which is written after each time
>    fsync(2) is called while writing to the disk
> *) the sector number where the data was written
> *) a CRC of the above information
> *) some random pattern to fill the rest of the 512 or 4k block,
>    depending on the physical sector size

I've posted similar utility (hwflush-check) here
We use it for testing power-tolerance for SSD.
It has client and server
# On a server side, start to listen incoming connections
# Stage0:
hwflush-check -l
# On tested node
# Stage 1: Create and allocate all files.
hwflush-check -s $SERVER_IP -d $SCRATCH_MNT --prep
# Stage 2: Start test, end let it work for a while
hwflush-check -s $SERVER_IP -d $SCRATCH_MNT & sleep 20; wall "it is time
to cut power cord"
# Stage 3: On next boot check that all data was successfully flushed.
hwflush-check -s $SERVER_IP -d $SCRATCH_MNT --check

It is reasonable to repeate steps 2,3 several times.