Date:	Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:53:58 -0700
From:	"Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:	TR Reardon <thomas_reardon@...mail.com>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: journal_checksum_v2 on-disk format change? (was: Re: journal
 recovery problems with metadata_csum, *non-64bit*)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:35:50PM +0200, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Doesn't a larger journal_tag_bytes() size mean more overhead for
> the journal?

Yes.  If we move to a 16-byte block tag:

typedef struct journal_block_tag3_s
{
	__u32		t_blocknr;	/* The on-disk block number */
	__u32		t_flags;	/* See below */
	__u32		t_blocknr_high; /* most-significant high 32bits. */
	__u32		t_checksum;	/* crc32c(uuid+seq+block) */
} journal_block_tag3_t;

Notice that this fixes the alignment problem due to the v2 bug -- tag 2 starts
with a 4-byte field at offset 14.

For a 32-bit FS with 4K blocks and a 32768 block journal, I found through
experimentation that if I fill the journal with nothing but journal blocks
(i.e. no revoke blocks), overhead increases by 264 blocks, or 0.8%.  For a
64-bit FS with the same parameters, the increase is 136 blocks, or 0.4%.

I'm hoping that a <1% increase won't discourage people. :)

--D