Date:	Sat, 23 Aug 2014 06:04:50 -0500
From:	Joakim Ziegler <joakim@...minalmx.com>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: What happened to e4defrag relevant file and free space defrag?

I'm using ext4 on quite large filesystems, for large image sequences. Some times
these file systems fill up, and things get fragmented and a lot slower.

When reading this presentation from Linuxcon Japan 2010:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/slides/2010/linuxcon_japan/linuxcon_jp2010_fujita.pdf

I see references to "relevant file defrag", which would be useable for me to
defrag image sequences to get them in sequence, specifically:

"Patches related to relevant file defrag (e4defrag -r) are under review."

Also, about free space defrag, it says:

"Implement free space defragmentation (e4defrag -f). We might implement this
feature when the relevant defrag development is completed."

Both of these, but especially relevant file defrag, would be very useful to
solve the problems I'm facing. What happened to the patches that were under
review? Was anything done? Was development of these features abandoned? Is there
any chance of any of them being implemented in the relatively near future?

--
Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
joakim@...minalmx.com   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864