Date:	Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:20:04 -0400
From:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:	Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@...fihost.ag>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	"p.herz@...fihost.ag >> Philipp Herz - Profihost AG"
Subject: Re: Call trace in ext4_es_lru_add on 3.10 stable

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 08:29:54PM +0200, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hi,
> >>
> >>Sorry this was an incomplete copy and paste by me.
> >>
> >>Here is the complete output:
> >>[1578544.839610] BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7 stuck for 22s! [mysqld:29281]
> >>[1578544.893450] Modules linked in: nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_defrag_ipv4
> >
> >OK, thanks, this is a known bug, where when ext4 is under heavy memory
> >pressure, we can end up stalling in reclaim.  This message indicates
> >that the system got stalled for 22 seconds, which is not good, since
> >it impacts the interactivity of your system, and increases the
> >long-tail latency of requests to servers running on your system, but
> >it doesn't cause any data loss or will cause any of your processes to
> >crash or otherwise stop functioning (except for temporarily).
> >
> >It's something that we are working on, and there are patches which
> >Zheng Liu submitted that still need a bit of polishing, but I hope to
> >have it addressed soon.
>
> Thanks for your feedback. Will those patches go to stable? Any link to
> those patches?

I'm not sure they will go to Stable when they are ready, because the
patches are somewhat complex and so they may not apply cleanly to much
older kernels.

The patches under discussion (some have been applied, others hae been
waiting for some requested changes) can be found here:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/377720
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/377721
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/377722
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/377723