Date:	Thu, 25 Sep 2014 02:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
cc:	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: birth time of a file

On Thu, 25 Sep 2014 at 09:08, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> It looks like your filesystem is formatted with 128-byte inodes
> (i.e. ext3) instead of 256-byte inodes (i.e. ext4). The i_crtime is stored
> in this extended space of the inode.  You could verify this with

Bingo! Thanks, that was the problem. I used a small (less than 512MB) test
filesystem and inode size was indeed 128 byte. When I ran mkfs.ext4 on a
512 MB (and larger) device, 256 byte inodes were created and then crtime
was indeed visible with debugfs. Or I could have used -I to force larger
inodes.

Thanks for the hint!
Christian.

--