Date:	Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:36:17 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Journal under-reservation bug on first >2G file

On Sep 30, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com> wrote:
> On 9/30/14 4:10 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> So the following testcase will overrun the 1-credit journal reservation
>> made during a delalloc write in ext4_da_write_begin(), because we
>> may cross the 2G threshold, and need to modify both the inode and the
>> superblock in the same transaction.
>>
>> I see a few was to fix this:
>>
>> 1) Always set LARGE_FILE on mount if not set.  This will break
>>   RW compatiblity with very old kernels.  Do we care?
>
>  1.5) Don't update the feature on the fly - we don't for
>       HUGE_FILE, either.
>
>  1.5a) Always set the large_file feature with a fresh mkfs, insteadl
>        of relying on the accident of the resize inode being > 2G!

I think that 1.5a is definitely the way to go for new mke2fs, I'm a
bit surprised that we didn't do this for "-t ext4" a long time ago
given that we've enabled lots of other features automatically.

There shouldn't be any problem to do this retroactively in e2fsck
and potentially at mount time for filesystems that already have some
features enabled that are post-large_file (e.g. extents, flex_bg, etc.)
This definitely would not impose any compatibility issues, because any
kernel that supports those features already understands large_file.

I'm pretty sure that e2fsck doesn't turn off large_file automatically
anymore if it can't find any files over 2GB, but it is worthwhile to
verify this.

>> 2) Bump the reservation to 2 under the fiddly condition of
>>   large file not yet set but this write might do it
>> 3) bump the delalloc reservation to 2 just in case, always

Given how many other reservations we have for normal operations,
I don't think it is so bad to reserve an extra block if the
large_file feature isn't enabled yet.  This could be fine tuned
based on the size and offset of the write, but I'm not sure if
the extra complexity warrants it.

It doesn't make sense to reserve this block if the feature
is already set, and I don't think that there are (m)any features
that are turned on automatically by the kernel anymore so it is
overhead to reserve the block if you know it won't be needed.

I don't know if this is belt and suspenders, but it might be
something to consider for supporting older kernels and we may not
need it in newer kernels.

Cheers, Andreas