Date:	Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:05:47 +0100
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Matthew Wilcox <willy@...ux.intel.com>,
	"Wilcox, Matthew R" <matthew.r.wilcox@...el.com>,
	"ross.zwisler@...ux.intel.com" <ross.zwisler@...ux.intel.com>,
	"akpm@...ux-foundation.org" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Dilger, Andreas" <andreas.dilger@...el.com>,
	"axboe@...nel.dk" <axboe@...nel.dk>,
	"boaz@...xistor.com" <boaz@...xistor.com>,
	"hch@....de" <hch@....de>,
	"kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com" <kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com>,
	"mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com" <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>,
	"rdunlap@...radead.org" <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
	"tytso@....edu" <tytso@....edu>,
	"mm-commits@...r.kernel.org" <mm-commits@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	xfs@....sgi.com
Subject: Re: + ext4-add-dax-functionality.patch added to -mm tree

On Fri 20-02-15 08:12:10, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 04:42:41PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:

> > > Right, that was the reason for doing it that way - it leveraged all
> > > the existing methods we have for avoiding data exposure races in
> > > XFS. but it's also not just for races - it's for ensuring that if we
> > > crash between the allocation and the write to the persistent store
> > > we don't expose the underlying contents when the system next comes
> > > up.
> >   Well, ext3/4 handles the crash situation differently - we make sure we
> > flush data to allocated blocks before committing a transaction that
> > allocates them. That works perfectly for crashes but doesn't avoid the
> > race with DIO.
>
> I was talking about direct IO, not buffered IO. DAX is modeled on
  Ah, OK. For DIO writes ext4 uses unwritten extents as well. But the race
I was talking about is between mmap allocating write (i.e. going through
page cache) and DIO read of the same location.

> the direct IO stack, not buffered IO. I did go and look at the ext4
> IO completion path, and I can see where ext4_end_io_dio() triggers a
> commit outside of doing unwritten extent conversion. Can you clue me
> in - IO completion in ext4 is a maze of twisty passages...
  I don't quite follow you. Why should ext4_end_io_dio() trigger a commit?

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR