Date:	Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:12:16 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:	Daniel Johnson <dan.u.johns@...il.com>
Cc:	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Using latest e2fsprogs on various offline VM ext filesystems

You can safely use newer e2fsprogs on older file systems. This should not
affect compatibility with older kernels in any way, unless you explicitly
enable features.

Note that if you are using LVM/DM you could create a snapshot of the
running device and run e2fsck on that. If no errors are found then you
don't need to stop the VM at all. You can reset the last checked counter
and mount count via tune2fs. Only if you find an error in the snapshot do
you need to unmount the filesystem to fix it.

Cheers, Andreas