Date:	Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:25:59 -0400
From:	Eric Whitney <enwlinux@...il.com>
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, fstests@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Test generic/299 stalling forever

* Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>:
> I've been trying to figure out why generic/299 has occasionally been
> stalling forever.  After taking a closer look, it appears the problem
> is that the fio process is stalling in userspace.  Looking at the ps
> listing, the fio process hasn't run in over six hours, and using
> attaching strace to the fio process, it's stalled in a FUTUEX_WAIT.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  I'm using fio 2.2.6, and I have a feeling
> that I started seeing this when I started using a newer version of
> fio.  So I'm going to try roll back to an older version of fio and see
> if that causes the problem to go away.

I've not seen that, but have only been running 4.1-rc* kernels recently.  I
can say that I ran 1000 trials of generic/299 on nojournal using a vanilla
4.1-rc6 kernel on a Pandaboard successfully with fio 2.2.6.  No failures, and
completed in ~61 hours for an average test duration of ~3.7 minutes, which
agrees well with what I see when sampling the logged output for individual
test times.

Eric