Date:	Thu, 31 Mar 2016 09:41:28 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:	Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@...ian.org>,
	oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Theodore Tso <tytso@...gle.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [oss-security] CVE Request - Linux kernel (multiple versions)
 ext2/ext3 filesystem DoS

On 3/30/16 3:43 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 04:56:11PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2016, at 3:14 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@...ian.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> [dropping MITRE from CC since it's not about the CVE]
>>> [adding ext and Theodore to CC]

>>> Did you contact the upstream maintainers about this? I'm adding them just in
>>> case they're not already aware of that…

>> It seems that the important point here is that the filesystem has
>> "s_errors=EXT4_ERRORS_PANIC" set in the superblock?  I don't think
>> the actual corruption that triggered the ext4_error() call is important,
>> since there are any number of other failure cases that could generate
>> a similar error.
>>
>> It seems practical to change s_errors at mount time from EXT4_ERRORS_PANIC
>> to EXT4_ERRORS_RO for filesystems mounted by regular users.  The question
>> is whether there is a way for the ext4 code to know this at mount time?
>
> You can mount the file system with "mount -o errors=continue" and this
> will override the default behavior specified in the super block.
>
> I would argue that a Desktop or server system that had automount
> should either (a) mount with -o errors=continue, or (b) force an fsck
> on the file system before mounting it.
>
> So I think this is a particularly meaningless CVE, which is why I have
> zero respect for people who try to make any kind of conclusion based
> on CVE counts.   I certainly don't plan to do anything about this.
>
> You might as well complain that since the system ships with a reboot
> command that can be executed by a clueless root user, that this is a
> potential DOS attack scenario deserving of a CVE....

First of all, yes, I have always been extremely skeptical of these
"crafted image" CVEs.  However, I'm not sure the "store errors=panic
in the superblock" was particularly well thought out either; it certainly
does make for a tidy little timebomb.

While I really hate to give issues such as this a whole lot more
credibility, I wonder about a higher level control, such as a sysctl,
which could [dis]allow errors=panic at a system-wide level.  It could default
to disallowing, and it's trivial to set it in sysctl.conf if you really
want it enabled by default.

In the end, errors=panic is really a debug option; a small hoop-jump to
use it doesn't sound too bad to me.

-Eric