Date:	Thu, 2 Jun 2016 14:17:50 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Eryu Guan <guaneryu@...il.com>
Cc:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>, Eryu Guan <eguan@...hat.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: xfstests generic/130 hang with non-4k block size ext4 on 4.7-rc1
 kernel

On Thu 02-06-16 10:58:40, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Thu 02-06-16 00:58:00, Eryu Guan wrote:

> > > That's weird, it's easily reproduced for me on different hosts/guests.
> > > The kernel config I'm using is based on the config from RHEL7.2 kernel,
> > > leaving all new config options to their default choices. i.e
> > >
> > > cp /boot/<config-rhel7.2> ./.config && yes "" | make oldconfig && make
> > >
> > > I attached my kernel config file.
> > >
> > > And my test vm has 8G memory & 4 vcpus, with RHEL7.2 installed running
> > > upstream kernel, host is RHEL6.7. xfsprogs version 3.2.2 (shipped with
> > > RHEL7.2) and version 4.5.0 (compiled from upstream) made no difference.
> > >
> > > I think I can try configs from other venders such as SuSE, Ubuntu. If
> > > you can share your config file I'll test it as well.
> >
> > I've tried kernel config from Ubuntu 16.04, and I can reproduce the hang
> > as well. If I add "-o data=journal" or "-o data=writeback" mount option,
> > I don't see the hang. So seems it only happens in data=ordered mode,
> > which matches the code change in commit 06bd3c36a733, I think.
>
> Yeah, so this is what I kind of expected. From the backtraces you have
> provided it is clear that:
>
> 1) There is process (xfs_io) doing O_SYNC write. That is blocked waiting
> for transaction commit when it entered fsync path.
>
> 2) jbd2 thread is blocked waiting for PG_Writeback to be cleared - this
> happens only in data=ordered mode.
>
> But what is not clear to me is: Why PG_Writeback doesn't get cleared for
> the page? It should get cleared once the IO that was submitted completes...
> Also how my change can trigger the problem - we have waited for
> PG_Writeback in data=ordered mode even before. What my patch did is that we
> are now avoiding filemap_fdatawrite() call before the filemap_fdatawait()
> call. So I suspect this is a race that has always been there and the new
> faster code path is just tickling it in your setup.
>
> I'll try to reproduce this problem in my setup (but my kvm instance fails
> to boot with 4.7-rc1 so I'm debugging that currently) and if I succeed,
> I'll debug this more. If I'm unable to reproduce this, I'll need you to
> debug why the IO for that page does not complete. Probably attaching to the
> hung kvm guest with gdb and looking through it is the simplest in that
> case. Thanks for your report!

So I was trying but I could not reproduce the hang either. Can you find out
which page is jbd2 thread waiting for and dump page->index, page->flags and
also bh->b_state, bh->b_blocknr of all 4 buffer heads attached to it via
page->private? Maybe that will shed some light...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>
SUSE Labs, CR