Date:	Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:22:39 -0400
From:	Eric Whitney <enwlinux@...il.com>
To:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Refreshed rootfs.img for kvm-xfstests

* Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>:
> There is an updated rootfs.img file available at:
>
>     https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/kvm-xfstests
>
> It includes the latest updates from the xfstests-dev upstream.
>
> There is a new set of more nicely formatted, but more importantly,
> better organized and expanded documentation for xfstests-bld,
> kvm-xfstests, and gce-xfstests.  The new documentation is formatted in
> Markdown, and can be browsed starting at:
>
> https://github.com/tytso/xfstests-bld/blob/master/README.md
>
> This release also includes an updated armhf chroot distribution,
> armhf_root_fs.tar.gz.  This was previously released in the testing
> subdirectory, but it is now built as an synchrnoized part of the
> kvm-xfstests root_fs.img release process.  Very rough instructions for
> using this tarball can be found here:
>
> https://github.com/tytso/xfstests-bld/blob/master/Documentation/android-xfstests.md

I've tested this version of the ARM test appliance using the 4k test config
on a Pandaboard with a 4.7-rc7 kernel, and have discovered a few problems with
the file system image as discussed in today's concall (the upshot was that the
build process might be failing somewhere along the way and producing an
incomplete image):

Several files needed to run the appliance are missing from /root - test-env,
test-conf, /conf (and its contents), and runtests.sh.  Copying them in
from xfstests-bld solved that.

/usr/bin/awk points to an executable in Ted's home directory.  Relinking to
/usr/bin/gawk fixed things up well enough.

With these changes, I was able to get a complete 4k run with some
discrepancies relative to my ARM baseline:

As reported in the output log produced by runtests.sh, it appears that the
quota user tools are not installed; quota-related xfstests were not run,
and the tools are missing from /root/xfstests/bin where they are found on the
x86_64 image.

Several tests using dm failed involving the error and flakey targets.  Some
succeeded in my baseline, and some are new since the baseline.  They need
a closer look to see what's going on - there's no immediate evidence the
root fs image is responsible.

Otherwise, this is an easy and convenient way to run the test appliance on
ARM.  Thanks!

Eric