Date:   Wed, 7 Dec 2016 10:58:25 -0700
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Renaud Mariana <rmariana@...ine.net>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HUGE slowdown when doing dpkg with ext4 over nbd

On Dec 7, 2016, at 2:52 AM, Renaud Mariana <rmariana@...ine.net> wrote:

> Here are my answers, hope it will help solve this issue, thanks.
>
> Recap:
> dpkg kibana on ext4 over a nbd device takes 10 minutes
> with xfs it's only 30s.
> with ext4 no extends only 30s.
>

> kernels :
> 4.5.7 has this issue as older kernel like 4.4.34
> The issue is also when nbd client & server run on same host
>

> How small are the files?
> here is the histogram of file sizes : http://pasteboard.co/6HC3nKyk2.png
> We can see 5000 files around 512 Bytes.

Definitely there is no value to use fallocate for 512-byte files, or any
of the files that can be written in a single write() syscall.  I'd expect
any reasonable tool to be using a write buffer of at least 2-4MB these
days to get good performance, so writes below the buffer size shouldn't
use fallocate() at all.

> dpkg using fallocate() ?
> Yes, there are 16044 calls by the same process
> what are these uninitialized extents ?

Uninitialized extents are preallocated ranges of a file on disk that will
read back as zero, but are not necessarily zero-filled at allocation time.
For large files that are written randomly (or written slowly and may have
contention from other writers) fallocate() + uninitialized extents will
preallocate the space for the file so that it is (largely) contiguous on
disk and overwrites will not result in random block allocation.

Cheers, Andreas

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)