Date:   Wed, 14 Dec 2016 10:28:01 -0600
From:   Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
To:     Heinz Nimmervoll <bt1now@....at>,
        "Darrick J. Wong" <darrick.wong@...cle.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: superblock completely overwritten

On 12/14/16 3:41 AM, Heinz Nimmervoll wrote:
>>> - How is it possible, that even the magic number (and everything else) got overwritten?
>>> - Why could it ever be overwritten?

>> I don't think anyone here can tell you what happened, it is almost certainly not
>> an ext4 bug. Could be a driver bug, or an admin running a stray "dd" command,
>> or some other utility gone astray, or ... anything, really.

> I can rule out that it was the dd command. Eric, do you think it
> could also be a problem about the SD-card and wear levelling (just a
> guess)?

Ok, now that Darrick has pointed out that it's inode data, I am slightly
less sure that it is "almost certainly not an ext4 bug" :)

Still, I don't recall any other reports of this type of corruption, so
I think it's quite possible that it's a problem outside of ext4.

Depending on how hard it is to reproduce, you might consider retesting
several sd card types to see if it is hardware-dependent.

-Eric