Date:   Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:44:15 -0800
From:   thanumalayan mad <madthanu@...il.com>
To:     "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e2fsck exit codes

Hi Ted,

Thank you for replying, again.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu> wrote:
> What are you trying to _do_ by, at the high level?
>
> It should do what you want, but at this point I'm wondering _why_ you
> want to do it, and whether or not it is something you _should_ be
> doing.

I probably have an odd usecase. I am trying to evaluate whether a new
storage stack (i.e., a virtual disk) is good enough for running an
application service; the service can frequently encounter crash
reboots, and the storage stack should be reliable enough. After
testing the service out on the new stack for a while with induced
crash-reboots, I began to suspect corruption in the stack, probably
caused during crashes. I was hoping I could catch the corruption
early-on, and make the testcase more repeatable, if I used "fsck -f"
during the testing. The other ideas I tried out to detect corruption
(like adding data checksums within the service) were funnily even
harder to get right.

Thanks,
Thanu