Date:   Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:16:05 -0700
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Matthijs Möhlmann <matthijs@...holong.nl>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: storing a value larger than UINT_MAX

On Feb 24, 2017, at 3:38 AM, Matthijs Möhlmann <matthijs@...holong.nl> wrote:

> Hello ext4 developers,
>
> I am trying to run a kernel with grsecurity with the size overflow
> protection and am getting the following warnings / errors:
>
> dmesg: http://pastebin.com/wr3UGLS9
> config: http://pastebin.com/sr8M9bP0
> mballoc.* (make fs/ext4/mballoc.o EXTRA_CFLAGS="-fdump-tree-all
> -fdump-ipa-all") http://filebin.ca/3DMIChVw9lQM/mballoc.tgz
>
> According to the grsecurity developers it seems to be a bug in ext4:
> https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4678&p=16971

        pa->pa_pstart = ext4_grp_offs_to_block(sb, &ac->ac_b_ex);
        pa->pa_lstart = pa->pa_pstart;

pa_pstart is 64-bit, pa_lstart is 32-bit.  It isn't clear why pa_lstart isn't:

	pa->pa_lstart = ac->ac_b_ex.fe_logical;

as elsewhere in the code, but this _may_ be because the group prealloc is
for allocating multiple small files in the same group, so pa_lstart may not
make any sense as a per-file logical offset.

Cheers, Andreas