Date:   Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:17:01 +0100
From:   Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:     James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: dirty_ratio

Hello!

On Sat 25-02-17 11:56:58, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I have a server that has basically two tasks.
> 1) Receiving lots of data from the network and storing it on disk.
> 2) An App that makes relatively small use of the disk and responds to
> requests from the network.
>
> The problem I have is that sometimes (1) is filling up all the "Dirty"
> pages, triggering a blocking flushing of the dirty buffer to the disk.
> This essentially freezes (1) and (2) until the flushing is complete.
> On occasions, this can take more than 60 seconds.
> 60 seconds is far too long from (2) point of view, because it needs to
> respond to user requests quickly, i.e less than 1 second.
>
> Is there any mechanism that could result in (1) being informed about
> the problem, (1) could then back off writing data to disk, and then at
> the same time, asked the sending system over the network to also back
> off.

I'll need some more data to help you. So:

1) What kernel version do you use?
2) What kind of storage is the "disk"?
3) What IO scheduler do you use (you can find that in
   /sys/block/<device>/queue/scheduler)?
4) What filesystem do you use?
5) What does "App" do when answering the query? Only reads or also writes?
   How much roughly?

> On TCP/IP networks, this is reported back as "congestion" on the
> network, the this results in throttling of the sending application on
> a per TCP session basis.
>
> In the above case, we are essentially seeing "congestion" to a
> particular storage disk, but the application does not get any feedback
> about this.
>
> I guess the perfect solution would be Quality-of-Service for disk
> writes, much like we have for network traffic.
>
> So, is there a feature available that can help me here, or will I have
> to look at modifying the Linux kernel in order to add support for
> "congestion notification from disk writes" ?

You can actually use cgroups these days to isolate the heavy writer and
thus give decent priority to the "App".

> In my view that "dirty_ratio" causing the whole system to appear to
> freeze due to disk blocking is too blunt an instrument.
>
> Also, even detecting if the 60 second freezes are a result of the
> "dirty_ratio" being hit is difficult to do.  It would be useful if
> there existed a counter that would count the amount of times the
> system resorted to "blocking" writes, as opposed to the
> non-problematic background writes.

Well, your process fetching data from network is probably permanently in
the "blocking" writes situation so global blocking counter would not help
you much. You would need it per task. But iowait time of a process should
tell you that information already.

> In my view, whenever the "blocking" writes was initiated, the
> application should be informed about it.
> Another alternative could be that the dirty pages are associated with
> the application process and file descriptor and a dirty_ratio set per
> file descriptor. Then, when a dirty_ratio is hit on the file
> descriptor, only the application that holds that fd is frozen.
> Maybe have multi-level limits. I.e. Warn App at limit A, freeze app at limit B.

Dirty_limit is just a mechanism preventing the system from running
out-of-memory due to too many dirty pages. It is not a quality-of-service
mechanism. Cgroups are meant for that (or better for resource limiting
of individual tasks). And wrt notifying application about blocking writes -
IMO application has no bussiness in knowing that. It is too fragile. But
kernel should behave better than just letting the application wait for 1
minute...

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>