Date:   Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:16:26 -0500
From:   Eric Sandeen <esandeen@...hat.com>
To:     Julius Schwartzenberg <julius.schwartzenberg@...il.com>,
        linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: e2fsck doesn't finish

On 4/16/17 12:07 PM, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into an e2fsck issue which seems to occur with one
> particular filesystem. The version from Ubuntu, Fedora and the latest
> release compiled from source all exhibit the same issue.
>
> On one filesystem I have, when I run e2fsck, it prints it's doing step 1
> and then after a while just:
> "e2fsck: aborted"
> Nothing else is printed. I tried a badblock scan on the partition, but
> that didn't reveal any badblocks.
>
> Here is the output of dumpe2fs:
> https://schwart6.home.xs4all.nl/dumpe2fs.sda4.gz
>
> I suspect there's some condition with that filesystem that e2fsck
> doesn't handle. What would be the best way to figure out more about this
> problem?

When I look at your image, it's finding tons of corruption - much
more than just "step 1" followed by "e2fsck: aborted"

If you didn't see that, then I wonder if e2image is not properly
handling your filesystem...

You might try running with the '-v' flag and see if it gives any
more hints about where it's at when it fails, and attach the
full e2fsck output to the next reply.

-Eric