Date:   Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:06:25 -0600
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@....net>
Cc:     linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: uuidgen question/proposal

On Apr 24, 2017, at 2:03 PM, Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@....net> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> one option is IMHO missing in uuidgen(1) tool -- to dump the GUID in binary form (so that it could be easily Base64-encoded)
>
> It is as simple as this:
> printf("%.16s\n", uuid);
>
> Base64-encoding of GUIDs is very popular these days and there are a number of online tools to do this, but since uuidgen only dumps a serialized string, this could not be Base64 encoded easily.
>
> What's your take on this?  Thanks!

I've CC'd your question to linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, since that is
the mailing list for discussing e2fsprogs changes.

My suggestion would be to add a "-b" (or similar) option directly to uuidgen
so that it can do the base64 encoding itself, rather than dumping the UUID
in binary and having to pipe it to another utility.

Cheers, Andreas

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (196 bytes)