Date:   Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:53:18 -0400
From:   Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:     Felipe A Rodriguez <far@...umenos.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, grub-devel@....org
Subject: Re: Possible regression in e2fsprogs-1.43.4

+grub-devel

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 04:00:20PM +0200, Felipe A Rodriguez wrote:
> Upgrading from e2fsprogs-1.42.13 to e2fsprogs-1.43.4 causes the boot
> loader to fail (unknown filesystem error) on the x86_64 VM I use for
> initial testing.  I traced the problem to changes in the e2fsprogs
> configuration file which now sets 64 bit flags.  I tried upgrading
> to GRUB 2.02 but that did not resolve the problem.  Reverting the
> changes per the patch below fixes the problem.

Hmm, my laptop has been using a file system with the 64-bit feature
enabled for quite some time, and my Debian Stretch system has been
using Grub 2.02 to boot my system without any difficulties.

I've done a quick check of the Debian patches and none of them seem to
modify Grub's ext2/ext4 file system implementation.  So I don't know
what to tell you.  Are you sure you properly reinstalled grub on the
boot device after you upgraded to grub 2.02?

Cheers,

						- Ted