Date:   Thu, 03 Aug 2017 16:55:40 +0300
From:   Andrew Perepechko <anserper@...dex.ru>
To:     Wang Shilong <wangshilong1991@...il.com>
Cc:     Shuichi Ihara <sihara@....com>, Wang Shilong <wshilong@....com>,
        Li Xi <lixi@....com>,
        Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: quota: dqio_mutex design

Let me put it this way:

Under file creation from different threads, ext4 will generate a series of
dquot updates (incore and then ondisk, through journal):

dquot update1
dquot update2
dquot update3
dquot updateN

Either with my patch or without it, ondisk dquot update through journal
may miss dquot update1, dquot update2, ... dquot update{N-1}.

You can easily see that from the code of dquot_commit():

int dquot_commit(struct dquot *dquot)
{
        int ret = 0;
        struct quota_info *dqopt = sb_dqopt(dquot->dq_sb);

        mutex_lock(&dqopt->dqio_mutex);
        spin_lock(&dq_list_lock);
        if (!clear_dquot_dirty(dquot)) {
                spin_unlock(&dq_list_lock);
                goto out_sem;
        }
}

If actual dquot_commit() wrote dquot update N, the threads commiting
updates 1 through N-1 will exit immediately once they get dqio_mutex
since the dquot will NOT be dirty.

My patch only avoids blocking on dqio_mutex when we know for sure
that another will NECESSARILY write the needed or a FRESHER dquot ondisk.