Date:   Tue, 15 Aug 2017 13:01:54 -0500
From:   Vijay Chidambaram <vvijay03@...il.com>
To:     Josef Bacik <josef@...icpanda.com>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.og,
        Ashlie Martinez <ashmrtn@...xas.edu>
Subject: Re: CrashMonkey: A Framework to Systematically Test File-System Crash Consistency

Hi Josef and Amir,

Thank you for the replies! We were aware that Josef had proposed
something like this a few years ago [1], but didn't know it was being
currently used inside Facebook. Glad to hear it!

@Josef: Thanks for the link! I think CrashMonkey does what you have in
log-writes, but our goal is to go a bit further:

- We want to test replaying subsets of writes between flush/fua.
Indeed, this is one of the major focus points of the work. Given W1 W2
W3 Flush, CrashMonkey will generate states, (W1), (W1 W3), (W1 W2),
etc. We believe many interesting bugs lie in this space. The problem
is that there are a large number of possible crash states, so we are
working on techniques to find "interesting" crash states. For now, our
plan is to focus on write requests tagged with the META flag.

- We want to aid the users in testing data consistency after a crash.
The plan is that after each crash state, after running fsck, if the
file system mounts, we allow the user to run a number of custom tests.
To help the user figure out what data should be present in the crash
state, we plan to provide functionality that informs the user at which
point the crash occurred (similar to the "mark" functionality in
log-writes, but instead of indicating a single point in the stream, it
would provide a snapshot of fs state)

@Amir: Given that Josef's code is already in the kernel, do you think
changing CrashMonkey code would be useful? We are always happy to
provide something for upstream, but we want to be sure how much work
would be involved.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/637079/

Thanks,
Vijay