Date:   Mon, 9 Oct 2017 09:00:51 -0400
From:   Josef Bacik <josef@...icpanda.com>
To:     Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
Cc:     Josef Bacik <josef@...icpanda.com>, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
        kernel-team@...com, linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-block@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] fsperf: a simple fs/block performance testing
 framework

On Mon, Oct 09, 2017 at 04:17:31PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 10:25:10PM -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:

> > > Why re-invent the test infrastructure? Why not just make it a
> > > tests/perf subdir in fstests?
> > >

> > Probably should have led with that shouldn't I have?  There's nothing keeping me
> > from doing it, but I didn't want to try and shoehorn in a python thing into
> > fstests.  I need python to do the sqlite and the json parsing to dump into the
> > sqlite database.
> >
> > Now if you (and others) are not opposed to this being dropped into tests/perf
> > then I'll work that up.  But it's definitely going to need to be done in python.
> > I know you yourself have said you aren't opposed to using python in the past, so
> > if that's still the case then I can definitely wire it all up.
>
> I have no problems with people using python for stuff like this but,
> OTOH, I'm not the fstests maintainer anymore :P

> > > Yup, that fits exactly into what fstests is for... :P
> > >
> > > Integrating into fstests means it will be immediately available to
> > > all fs developers, it'll run on everything that everyone already has
> > > setup for filesystem testing, and it will have familiar mkfs/mount
> > > option setup behaviour so there's no new hoops for everyone to jump
> > > through to run it...
> > >

> > TBF I specifically made it as easy as possible because I know we all hate trying
> > to learn new shit.
>
> Yeah, it's also hard to get people to change their workflows to add
> a whole new test harness into them. It's easy if it's just a new
> command to an existing workflow :P

Agreed, so if you probably won't run this outside of fstests then I'll add it to
xfstests.  I envision this tool as being run by maintainers to verify their pull
requests haven't regressed since the last set of patches, as well as by anybody
trying to fix performance problems.  So it's way more important to me that you,
Ted, and all the various btrfs maintainers will run it than anybody else.

> > I figured this was different enough to warrant a separate
> > project, especially since I'm going to add block device jobs so Jens can test
> > block layer things.  If we all agree we'd rather see this in fstests then I'm
> > happy to do that too.  Thanks,
>
> I'm not fussed either way - it's a good discussion to have, though.
>
> If I want to add tests (e.g. my time-honoured fsmark tests), where
> should I send patches?

I beat you to that!  I wanted to avoid adding fs_mark to the suite because it
means parsing another different set of outputs, so I added a new ioengine to fio
for this

http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg06367.html

and added a fio job to do 500k files

https://github.com/josefbacik/fsperf/blob/master/tests/500kemptyfiles.fio

The test is disabled by default for now because obviously the fio support hasn't
landed yet.

I'd _like_ to expand fio for cases we come up with that aren't possible, as
there's already a ton of measurements that are taken, especially around
latencies.  That said I'm not opposed to throwing new stuff in there, it just
means we have to add stuff to parse the output and store it in the database in a
consistent way, which seems like more of a pain than just making fio do what we
need it to.  Thanks,

Josef