Date:   Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:39:41 +0200
From:   Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:     "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:     Ashlie Martinez <ashmrtn@...xas.edu>,
        Vijay Chidambaram <vvijay03@...il.com>,
        Ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>, Eryu Guan <eguan@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: ext4 fix for interaction between i_size, fallocate, and delalloc
 after a crash

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu> wrote:
> [ Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.  I've been dealing with a
>   family medical emergency and hanging out at an intensive care unit
>   in Chicago for the past four days.  ]
>
> OK, let's start with the high-level explanation of how Delayed
> Allocation works.  When a userspace application does a buffered write,
> and delayed allocation is not enabled, then ext4 acts like ext3
> historically did.  That is, when a buffered write first touches a
> logical block which is not yet mapped to a physical block, the file
> system performs block allocation at the time of the write(2) system
> call.  At the next journal commit, the inode's extent tree (or inode
> structure or indirect blocks) are updated, along with the inode's
> i_size field (if necessary).  In order to avoid stale data writes,
> ext3 and ext4 in data=ordered mode, will write the data from the page
> cache to disk before the journal commit is allowed to be finalized.
>
> What are the implications of this?  If the application does a series
> of 4k writes, ext4 will allocate each 4k block one at a time.  And it
> will do that with no knowledge of how big the file will end up being.
>
> When delayed allocation is enabled[1], we do *not* make block
> allocation decisions at the time of the buffered write(2) call.
> Instead, we wait until the writeback timer expires, which by default
> is 30 seconds after the inode is first dirtied.  In many cases, the
> application is finished writing the file within 30 seconds, and now
> instead of doing N individual 4k block allocations, with delayed
> allocation we make a single block decision based on how many pages
> have been newly modified.  This makes it much easier to make much more
> intelligent allocation decisions.
>
> [1] It can get disabled via a mount option, or when the file system is
> almost full; in the latter case, it is temporary and delalloc will be
> automatically re-enabled when files are deleted and the file system
> has more free space.
>

> But what happens if we crash before the delayed allocation has been
> resolved?  As James Earl Jones might say, "I was never here[2]".  That
> is, it's as if never happened.
>
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPtmRZQVHo&feature=youtu.be&t=1m5s
>
> But immediately after the buffered write returns, if the program calls
> stat(2), the i_size returned by the stat(2) system call must reflect
> the results of the buffered write.  This is why we have i_size versus
> i_disksize.  The i_size value reflects the size of the file as it
> exists in the page cache.  The i_disksize value reflects the size of
> the file as it exists on disk.
>
> So i_disksize will lag i_size by up to 30 seconds.  But, by default,
> the journal commits happen every five seconds.  The other key thing to
> understand is that fallocate(2)'s ZERO_RANGE operation modifies both
> metadata *and* data blocks.
>
> Let's review xfstests generic/256.  The calls fsx --replay-ops with
> the following:

> [...]

Ted,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I am wondering out loud:
The regression test generic/456 was merged without any insight about
the root cause of the problem or any insight about the operations,
offsets and sizes used by the test.

Should we add to the test description a reference to the fix commit?
Should we add parts of this explanation in a comment near the fsxops
definition? All of it????

Perhaps you could edit it down to the context of a comment for the
test?

Thanks,
Amir.