Date:   Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:08:25 +1100
From:   Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:     linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-xfs@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>
Subject: Re: Filesystem crashes due to pages without buffers

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:52:44AM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Over the years I have seen so far unexplained crashed in filesystem's
> > > (ext4, xfs) writeback path due to dirty pages without buffers attached to
> > > them (see [1] and [2] for relatively recent reports). This was confusing as
> > > reclaim takes care not to strip buffers from a dirty page and both
> > > filesystems do add buffers to a page when it is first written to - in
> > > ->page_mkwrite() and ->write_begin callbacks.
> > >
> > > Recently I have come across a code path that is probably leading to this
> > > inconsistent state and I'd like to discuss how to best fix the problem
> > > because it's not obvious to me. Consider the following race:
> > >
> > > CPU1					CPU2
> > >
> > > addr = mmap(file1, MAP_SHARED, ...);
> > > fd2 = open(file2, O_DIRECT | O_RDONLY);
> > > read(fd2, addr, len)
> > >   do_direct_IO()
> > >     page = dio_get_page()
> > >       dio_refill_pages()
> > >         iov_iter_get_pages()
> > > 	  get_user_pages_fast()
> > >             - page fault
> > >               ->page_mkwrite()
> > >                 block_page_mkwrite()
> > >                   lock_page(page);
> > >                   - attaches buffers to page
> > >                   - makes sure blocks are allocated
> > >                   set_page_dirty(page)
> > >               - install writeable PTE
> > >               unlock_page(page);
> > >     submit_page_section(page)
> > >       - submits bio with 'page' as a buffer
> > > 					kswapd reclaims pages:
> > > 					shrink_page_list()
> > > 					  trylock_page(page) - this is the
> > > 					    page CPU1 has just faulted in
> > > 					  try_to_unmap(page)
> > > 					  pageout(page);
> > > 					    clear_page_dirty_for_io(page);
> > > 					    ->writepage()
> > > 					  - let's assume page got written
> > > 					    out fast enough, alternatively
> > > 					    we could get to the same path as
> > > 					    soon as the page IO completes
> > > 					  if (page_has_private(page)) {
> > > 					    try_to_release_page(page)
> > > 					      - reclaims buffers from the
> > > 					        page
> > > 					   __remove_mapping(page)
> > > 					     - fails as DIO code still
> > > 					       holds page reference
> > >
> > > eventually read completes
> > >   dio_bio_complete(bio)
> > >     set_page_dirty_lock(page)
> > >       Bummer, we've just marked the page as dirty without having buffers.
> > >       Eventually writeback will find it and filesystem will complain...
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> >
> > My first question is why is kswapd trying to reclaim a page with an
> > elevated active reference count? i.e. there are active references
> > the VM *doesn't own* to the page, which means that there may well
> > a user that expects the state on the page (e.g. the page private
> > data that the active reference instantiated!) to remain intact until
> > it drops it's active reference.
>
> Page private data (and most of page state) is protected by a page lock, not
> by a page reference. So reclaim (which is holding the page lock) is free to
> try to reclaim page private data by calling ->releasepage callback.

Page private data is "owned" by whoever put the private data there.
Manipulating the fields and state that says there is private data on
the page is protected by the page lock.

> That being said you are right that the attempt to reclaim a page with
> active references is futile. But the problem is that we don't know how many
> page references are actually left before we unmap the page from page tables
> (each page table entry holds a page reference) and free page private data
> (as that may hold page reference as well - e.g. attach_page_buffers()
> acquires page reference). So checking page references in advance is
> difficult.

perhaps we need separate accounting of internal and active
references (kinda like superblocks), where active references prevent
reclaim because they require the current state to be maintained
until the reference is dropped, whilst internal references simply
prevent the page from being freed until they are released.

> Furthermore the core of the problem is not in the fact that page buffers
> are reclaimed. That just makes it visible. The real problem is that page can
> be written to by a GUP user while it is neither writeably mapped in page
> tables nor prepared with ->write_begin. So a similar race violating
> filesystem's assumptions can be like:
>
> CPU1					CPU2
>
> addr = mmap(file1, MAP_SHARED, ...);
> fd2 = open(file2, O_DIRECT | O_RDONLY);
> read(fd2, addr, len)
>   do_direct_IO()
>     page = get_user_pages_fast()
>       - page fault handled
>     submit_page_section(page)
>       - submits bio with 'page' as a buffer
> 					ordinary writeback:
> 					writepages(file1)
> 					  clear_page_dirty_for_io(page)
> 					    - page gets writeprotected in
> 					      page tables
> eventually read completes
>   dio_bio_complete(bio)
>     set_page_dirty_lock(page)
>
> And a race like this is enough to cause data corruption if we are unlucky.

Hmmm. if that's the case then we probably need a page flag to
indicate the page cannot be cleaned, unmapped or reclaimed by
anything until the GUP reference owner clears that flag. It seems
analagous to the PageWriteback flag and teh way we avoid certain
things when we know the page is under IO (e.g. immediate reclaim
:P).

Cheers,

Dave.
--