Date:   Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:07:06 -0300
From:   Carlos Carvalho <carlos@...ica.ufpr.br>
To:     Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: bug with large_dir in 5.12.17

Andreas Dilger (adilger@...ger.ca) wrote on Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 03:22:10AM -03:
> On Jul 22, 2021, at 8:23 AM, Carlos Carvalho <carlos@...ica.ufpr.br> wrote:
> >
> > There is a bug when enabling large_dir in 5.12.17. I got this during a backup:
> >
> > index full, reach max htree level :2
> > Large directory feature is not enabled on this filesystem
> >
> > So I unmounted, ran tune2fs -O large_dir /dev/device and mounted again. However
> > this error appeared:
> >
> > dx_probe:864: inode #576594294: block 144245: comm rsync: directory leaf block found instead of index block
> >
> > I unmounted, ran fsck and it "salvaged" a bunch of directories. However at the
> > next backup run the same errors appeared again.
> >
> > This is with vanilla 5.2.17.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> are you able to reproduce this error on a new directory that did not hit
> the 2-level htree limit before enabling large_dir, or did you only see this
> with directories that hit the 2-level htree limit before the update?

I removed all directories where the error happens (several hours...) and ran
the backup again, after fsck, and the error was the same, so it also happens in
new ones.

> Did you test on any newer kernels than 5.2.17?

Not yet. The machine is running 5.13.5 now but this particular backup hasn't
run yet. I'm doing fsck now (takes 4h30) and will launch it again.