Date:   Wed, 2 Nov 2022 03:07:55 +0000
From:   Matt Bobrowski <repnop@...gle.com>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:     linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: General Filesystem Question - Interesting Unexplainable
 Observation

Hey Jan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:22:37PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> Hi Matthew!
>
> [added ext4 mailing list to CC, maybe others have more ideas]
>
> On Fri 28-10-22 23:23:14, Matt Bobrowski wrote:
> > Just had a general question in regards to some recent filesystem (ext4)
> > behaviour I've recently observed, which kind of made my eyebrows raise a
> > little and I wanted to understand why this was happening.
> >
> > We have an application (single threaded process) that basically performs
> > the following sequence of filesystem operations using buffered I/O:
> >
> > ---
> > fd = open("dir/tmp/filename.new", O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0400);
> > write(fd, buf, sizeof(buf));
> > rename("dir/tmp/filename.new", "dir/new/filename");
> > ---
> >
> > At times, I see the "dir/new/filename" file size reporting 0 bytes, despite
> > sizeof(buf) written to "dir/tmp/filename.new" always guaranteed to be > 0
> > and the result of the write reported as being successful. This is the part
> > I cannot come up with a valid explanation for (yet).
>
> So by "file size reporting 0 bytes" do you mean that
> stat("dir/new/filename") from a concurrent process returns file size 0
> sometimes?

Not quite, meaning that stat("dir/new/filename") is reporting 0 bytes
long after the write(2) operation had occurred. IOW, I'm seeing 0 byte
files laying around when they well and truly should have had bytes
written out to them (before a write(2) is issued we check to make sure
that the supplied buffer actually has something in it) i.e. manually
stat'ing them in a shell.

> Or do you refer to a situation after an unclean filesystem
> shutdown?

It could very well be from an unclean shutdown, but it's really hard
to say whether this is the culprit or not.

> > Understandably,
> > there's no fsync being currently performed post calling write, which I
> > think needs to be corrected, but I also can't see how not using fsync post
> > write would result in the file size for "dir/new/filename" being reported
> > as 0 bytes? One of the things that crossed my mind was that the rename
> > operation was possibly being committed prior to the dirty pages from the
> > pagecache being flushed, but regardless I don't see how a rename would
> > result in the data blocks associated to the write not ever being committed
> > for the same underlying inode?
> >
> > What are your thoughts? Any plausible explanation why I might be seeing
> > this odd behaviour?
>
> Ext4 uses delayed allocation. That means that write(2) just stores data in
> the page cache but no blocks are allocated yet. So indeed rename(2) can be
> fully committed in the journal before any of the data gets to persistent
> storage. That being said ext4 has a workaround for buggy applications (can
> be disabled with "noauto_da_alloc" mount option) that starts data writeback
> before rename is done so at least in data=ordered mode you should not see 0
> length files after a crash with the above scheme.

Right, we are using buffered I/O after all... However, even if the
rename(2) operation took place and was fully committed to the journal
before the dirty pages associated to the prior write(2) had been
written back, I wouldn't expect the data to be missing? IOW, the
write(2) and rename(2) operations are taking effect on the same
backing inode, no?

/M