Date:	Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:04:58 -0700
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>
To:	"Gary Funck" <gary@...repid.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, mingo@...e.hu
Subject: Re: 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 mmap-related soft lockup

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:25:16 -0700
"Gary Funck" <gary@...repid.com> wrote:

> > Are you able to confirm that setting CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=n fixes it?
> >
> > And are you able to get us a copy of that test app?
>
> Yes, I just ran the test with 2.6.17.6.  With CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=y
> the test fails and the soft lockup situation often results.
> However, when built with CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=n, the test passes,
> and runs rather quickly in comparison to when it fails.
>
> I've attached a slightly updated version of the test case.
> It is a little more carefully crafted and prints some
> output so that you have some idea that it is working.

That's great, thanks.  That pretty much confirms that this long-standing
box-killing rwlock starvation bug is specific to Opterons.  Neither Ingo
nor I have Opteron machines so a fix will take a little longer than one
would expect.

Meanwhile, an appropriate workaround is to disable CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK.