Date:	Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:56:19 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ibm.com>
To:	Bill Huey <billh@...ppy.monkey.org>
Cc:	Esben Nielsen <nielsen.esben@...glemail.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, compudj@...stal.dyndns.org,
	rostedt@...dmis.org, tglx@...utronix.de, mingo@...e.hu,
	dipankar@...ibm.com, rusty@....ibm.com
Subject: Re: [RFC, PATCH -rt] NMI-safe mb- and atomic-free RT RCU

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:48:57PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 05:02:31PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how folks feel about putting something like that in the
> > > scheduler path since it's such a specialized cases. Some of the scheduler
> > > folks might come out against this.
> >
> > They might well.  And the resulting discussion might reveal a better
> > way.  Or it might well turn out that the simple approach of boosting
> > to an intermediate level without the list will suffice.
>
> Another thing. What you mention above is really just having a set of owners
> for the read side and not really a preemption list tracking thing with RCU
> and special scheduler path. The more RCU does this kind of thing the more
> it's just like a traditional read/write lock but with more parallelism since
> it's holding on to read side owners on a per CPU basis.

There are certainly some similarities between a priority-boosted RCU
read-side critical section and a priority-boosted read-side rwlock.
In theory, the crucial difference is that as long as one has sufficient
memory, one can delay priority-boosting the RCU read-side critical
sections without hurting update-side latency (aside from the grace period
delays, of course).

So I will no doubt be regretting my long-standing advice to use
synchronize_rcu() over call_rcu().  Sooner or later someone will care
deeply about the grace-period latency.  In fact, I already got some
questions about that at this past OLS.  ;-)

> This was close to the idea I had for extending read/write locks to be more
> parallel friendly for live CPUs, per CPU owner bins on individual cache lines
> (I'll clarify if somebody asks), but the use of read/write locks is seldom
> and in non-critical places, so just moving the code fully to RCU would be a
> better solution. The biggest problem is to scan or denote to some central
> structure (task struct, lock struct) when you were either in or out of the
> reader section without costly atomic operations. That's a really huge cost
> as you know already (OLS slides).

Yep -- create something sort of like brlock, permitting limited read-side
parallelism, and also permitting the current exclusive-lock priority
inheritance to operate naturally.

Easy enough to do with per-CPU variables if warranted.  Although the
write-side lock-acquisition latency can get a bit ugly, since you have
to acquire N locks.

I expect that we all (myself included) have a bit of learning left to
work out the optimal locking strategy so as to provide both realtime
latency and performance/scalability.  ;-)

							Thanx, Paul